Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter eggs

Last year, Genny and her Daddy dyed Easter eggs. And now here's the rest of the story…..

Audrey had been home about 3 weeks, which meant she was not sleeping ever, she was screaming constantly, she was attached to her monitor, which was going off a lot. Things were ugly. Add to that the fact that I had mostly lost my mind and was having trouble stringing together a sentence, much less preparing for a holiday. I counted myself fortunate that Genny had an Easter dress already and an Easter basket I had bought for her the year before. On some midnight trip to WalMart, I had picked up stuff for her Easter basket, and with a guilty sigh, I threw a package of egg dye into the basket.

I told myself that dyeing eggs was important… no, vital. After all, she was 2 and surely she expected to do that (she didn’t) and it was crucial to her childhood (it wasn’t) and it really was worth the effort (nope!). And since I was so busy dealing with Audrey, on the Saturday before Easter, I threw the box of dye at Robert with an ugly growl… telling him “Go dye eggs with your child.” He obliged, and he didn't even ask why it was all that important (after all, he had to explain to Genny what they were going to do… and why… she thought it was odd until the little cups of dye appeared….) We discovered that we didn’t even know how to hard-boil eggs and kept making egg-drop soup.

So that’s how it went last year. But I had pretty pictures, and I thought that I posted them but apparently I didn't, making me feel like our lives were somewhat normal. And Genny had fun with her Daddy, who was a very good sport about the whole thing.

I should note that Robert has a much nicer version of this story in his head....

So this year we dyed eggs in a more fabulous way. We waited until Audrey Kate took a nap. We boiled eggs without making soup.
We bought this kind! Fabulous!
Genny thought the dye was very, very exciting.
And the glitter was better. She was in charge of all glittering. (For the record, my house is now going to be glittery until she’s 27 probably… but totally worth it)

Here’s our best creations.

And Daddy was happily out in the garage, hanging new fluorescent lights. He came in every now and then to admire our eggs.

1 comment:

Snuzi said...

Oh i love this post! And the eggs are/were beautiful!