Friday, October 10, 2008

party, party, we likes to party....


Our little one is 2. There was much celebration this week!

Last Sunday was supposed to be her birthday party at the zoo. This was for a few reasons: she loves the zoo, and it was a great way to have her party somewhere other than my house! I had a craft show on Saturday, and it looked like it would all work out great. There are very few weather-related things you can count on in the Panhandle, but you can usually count on it being dry. I'm going to admit that even though I am a very neurotic planner, I had NO BACKUP PLAN for her party. So when we got up Sunday morning and it was still raining, I thought... hmmmm.. could be trouble. At noon, as we were heading back from the ranch and it was still raining (and cold and windy and soggy) we decided No Zoo. Eek! This moved the party to my filthy, filthy house that was not decorated and had no party activities (the earlier answer to both of these was ... the zoo.) We scrambled around, and by 3:30 (with a lot of help from our friends and family) the house was clean-ish, it was decorated like a zoo, and we had cake and activities (we painted the kids faces like zoo animals)! a party miracle. Her party was lots of fun.

...

We are really feeling 2. All of the sudden, it seems Gen would rather argue than do anything. Feels like it takes an argument to do anything: change diaper, get dressed, eat breakfast, get in the car, sit in her carseat, ride in a cart, take a nap, take a bath, etc. You name it, we've argued about it in the last 24 hours. I know this is just part of being 2, but boy do I get tired of the arguing.

...

This week Gen's favorite game has been to "play party, mommy!" She puts out the napkins left over from her party, she makes a cake with her cool cake decorating set she got for her birthday, she puts our plates and drags chairs around, and everyone is supposed to sit in their chair and eat cake. It's pretty cute.

3 comments:

Monica said...

What a fun party! I want to have my face painted the next time I visit your house. Give your little angel a hug for me!

Wendy said...

No problem. I think you'll make a fabulous lion. In fact, you might want to fly me to Irving for Shelby's party as a guest artist. I'm sure it would be totally worth it!

Hiding Your Words in my Heart said...

I have to say, the face painting was incredible!!! All of the kids looked so cute and bore very strong resemblances to the animals they had picked. Wendy did a great job as "guest artist" on last minute notice. And "filthy house"??? I sure didn't notice! You must have done one zip-bang quick clean up!!!