Sunday, October 12, 2008

Little Girl and the Carrots of Destiny


Yes, I actually took a picture of my daughter's dinner. I'm not particularly crazy today (not any more than usual...), I just felt certain that a victory was approaching.
So Gen's not a big eater. She eats certain things, usually pretty reliably. But it's time to branch out. I don't want her to be a picky eater as an adult, and I don't intend on being a short-order chef in my own home. I think, within reason, my family needs to eat what's fixed for meals.
If you look closely at dinner, you'll see a few carrots in the top right corner. This is the third meal that those carrots have been a part of. She has declared them "ucky" each time, made horrible faces, and refused to eat them. So I just keep putting them on her plate. We went with the whole "when she gets hungry enough, she will eat what is placed in front of her" theory. In this case, it took 2 days. 2 days of her not eating meals, whining about food, demanding milk, and calling everything in front of her "ucky." Tonight, however, she actually ate. A few bites of the carrots of destiny--enough to call a victory!

2 comments:

Monica said...

Way to be strong! Picky eaters are one of my pet peeves even though some of my closest friends won't touch anything besides bread and cheese...

Molly said...

Carly will finally eat almost anything. Conrad is still a chicken nuggets/french fries kind of guy. I think we got lazy on our second! Keep working...it will pay off.