Thursday, April 3, 2008

Bouncy Thing

I'm going to humble myself here and put in a wide shot of my living room today.

The large pink and yellow monstrosity is Bouncy Thing. I bought it for Gen on Tuesday. I had researched it, and all the mommies in the world that had written online reviews loved it. They raved about how much their kids played on it. They praised its versatility, its storability, and its price. Armed with all this knowledge, I bought it; I anticipated how much Genevieve would love it. I pictured her bouncing happily with all her little friends. I thought how fantastic it would be to air it up on rainy days and then deflate it and put it away for a while. But I forgot one small thing: I have the most cautious child in the world.

So I now present, for your very-much enjoyment......
Genevieve vs. Bouncy Thing

Tuesday night. We open bouncy thing, Robert airs it up.
Late Tuesday night. I picture Genevieve's joy when she gets up and sees it. It will be like Christmas!

Wednesday morning arrives ...

8:05 Gen eyes the bouncy thing but won't touch it
8:10 Gen drops a pair of her baby's pants in the window of bouncy thing and observes results
8:15 Gen peers in the door of bouncy thing
8:20 Gen eats breakfast near bouncy thing, eyeing it suspiciously.
8:50 Gen returns to door of bouncy thing. I ask if she would like to get inside, and she says "no! no! no!"
8:58 I blow up the rest of the rings and chunk them in bouncy thing. She gets irritated with me.
9:00 Gen walks around bouncy thing, apparently testing the wall strength.
9:01 I ask her if she would like Mama to get in there with her, and she says "no! no! no!"
9:03 Gen manages to get one of the rings out of bouncy thing and puts it on like a necklace.
9:58 Gen again considers bouncy thing, but when asked if she would like to get in, says "no! no! no!"
9:59 Gen brings me the bouncy thing's box and says "bye-bye"
10:09 I get in bouncy thing. Gen watches from the side as if she expects me to be eaten. She then retrieves another ring and wears it as a necklace.
10:40 We make cookies and watch Sesame Street, thus distracting Gen from the giant bouncy thing in the living room.
11:00 As Roomba tackles the sprinkle-iscious mess in the kitchen, Gen follows it around. Wonder who she got that from.....
11:20 Gen puts her Easter eggs in the bouncy thing.
11:25 Gen begins singing to the bouncy thing in some mysterious little girl ritual of acceptance.
11:26 Gen retrieves the Easter eggs she can reach
11:30 Gen allows me to put her in Bouncy Thing. She walks around saying "jump, jump, jump" for about 2 minutes, then wails to get out.

lunch, nap

after nap Gen utterly ignores Bouncy Thing's existence

5:30 Gen again allows me to put her in Bouncy Thing. She jumps a little, and I show her how she can crawl out herself. This is followed by more wailing.

Thursday arrives....
she goes to mother's day out, and we go to the park. When we finally get home... a miracle takes place!

4:30 Gen asks to get in Bouncy Thing. I put her in, then she asks for her Baby, her milk cup, and her tea set. Of course, I bring them all to her. She plays happily in Bouncy Thing for 30 minutes. The rest of the evening she was in and out of it. She could get out by herself by the end of the night. After all, it only took 32 hours...

2 comments:

Monica said...

You know if Gen was actually Gene, he would have already jumped so much that "Bouncy Thing" would have popped! The difference between boys and girls is so interesting.

By the way, Gen is still adorable!

Meredith said...

Ok, so I finally caught up on all the posts...I can't believe how much bigger she's gotten in just a few months! Crazy!